lewis's birth story

From the second or third doctor's appointment I had after finding out I was pregnant with Lewis, my doctor and I agreed that it would make the most sense to schedule a C-section at 39 weeks. To recap, I had a scheduled C-section with Pippa because she was breech, and I desperately wanted to try a VBAC with Teddy, but due to his size, and moving across the country at 36 weeks pregnant, we ended up going with another scheduled C-section at 40 weeks + 4 days. 

I was so disappointed about the decision to have a C-section with Teddy that it almost overshadowed the joy of his birth. This time around, however, I was completely at peace with it. I knew exactly what to expect, and felt no angst about the surgery ahead of time. I trusted that this was God's plan for how I deliver my babies, and was mentally and physically prepared for it.

The C-section was scheduled for a Wednesday, and my mom arrived in Florida the Sunday before that. We spent the next two days hanging out with Pippa and Teddy in St. Augustine, and just hanging around the house and resting. 

The night before the surgery we went out to eat at our favorite beachfront restaurant, enjoying our last few hours as a family of four. It was so relaxing, and I didn't even care when people made comments about the size of my belly, because I knew it was my last night being pregnant.

We woke up around 4 the next morning in order to be at the hospital by 5 a.m. for 7:30 a.m. surgery. It's the strangest feeling waltzing into the labor and delivery ward as calm as can be, knowing you'll walk out with a baby! Justin and I were prepared this time around, knowing we had a long wait while we filled out paperwork and they prepped me for surgery. I had a book downloaded on my Nook, and Justin even brought some papers to correct while we waited! 

I absolutely loved every member of my labor and delivery team. They were so energetic and chatty, despite the early hour. We even joked around and chatted about world travel while they administered the spinal. We all took bets on the size of the baby, with guesses ranging from 8 lb 6 oz to 9 lb 1 oz. I vaguely remember talking about Machu Picchu and my OB recommending a hiking path in Spain? It was all very laid back, almost surreal. 

I had my usual moment of terror when they asked if I could feel them poking my stomach and legs. I could feel it, but it didn't hurt. Did that mean I was going to feel myself being cut open? I panic-laughed as I explained my fear to them, and they assured me that I would be yelping in pain if I could truly feel it. I remember feeling more on one side than the other, so they had to angle the operating table sideways in order to distribute the anesthesia more evenly. Finally I gave them the go-ahead that I was adequately drugged up, Justin walked in the room, and the surgery began!

They asked if I wanted a specific song for bringing our baby into the world. I almost asked for Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds," but for some reason got nervous about requesting it, so I said they could play whatever they wanted. I was delighted when they chose Jimmy Buffett, which also featured the island vibes I prefer in music. As Lewis William was born at 8:02 a.m., Jimmy Buffet's "Volcano" was blasting, with the doctors and nurses singing along. Chillest birth ever.

Boy, did that kid have a set of lungs on him from the moment he entered the world. He made his presence known, and didn't stop yelping until he was swaddled up and on my chest. 

The entire room was shocked at Lewis's birth weight. We all thought he would for sure be in the 8 lb range, but how wrong we were! 7 lb 7 oz is by no means a tiny baby, but after Teddy came out a whopping 8 lb 10 oz, Lewis looked like a little peanut. 

Once the surgery was complete, a nurse wheeled me back to the recovery room to get some skin-to-skin contact and breastfeed. Lewis nursed lazily for a solid half hour right away, and I was so relieved to have no major issues with feeding right off the bat. During that time, Justin took care of calling our family members, which is no small feat, since he had to contact my 5 sisters, his 4 siblings, plus our parents and grandparents. He also let my mom know she could bring Pippa and Teddy to the hospital to meet their baby brother for the first time. I wrote about their first meeting here

Once again, our hospital stay was only two nights. I found it so funny how lax everyone was about charting feedings and diapers since they knew it was our third child. Nurses would come in and ask what time I fed him last and for how long and I would try to give them an answer, but then end up saying something along the lines of, "Look, I could give you a time and length of feeding, but I would be completely making it up. Sorry!" By this time I knew to feed Lewis on demand and to follow his lead for how much he wanted to eat. And the kid had no shortage of wet and dirty diapers, so no one had any concerns about it! We were happily discharged on Friday around 11, and headed home for some much needed family time and rest. 

The name Lewis means "renowned warrior" and I hope he lives up to his name as someone who courageously stands up for what he believes. I also love the connection to one of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis. His middle name, William, is also Justin's middle name, and the name of Justin's late maternal grandfather. 

Welcome to our family, Lewis! We are all so in love with you, and you will be absolutely smothered in affection and attention from your older sister and brother. You are truly a blessing from God!